10 Tips – How To fall asleep fast
Here are my top 10 tips on how to fall asleep fast.
Like many people, I’ve struggled with falling to sleep easily. For me, it was mostly related to doing shift work. However, I still have times when I find it difficult to fall asleep.
These are my favourite tips on how to fall asleep fast
1. Put down your device – the blue light emitted by screens breaks down melatonin, the sleep hormone. No screens after 9 pm, this is when the body starts releasing melatonin. The content you are reading or listening to can also stimulate the brain, keeping you awake.
2. Have a warm shower or bath 1-2hrs before bed – your core body temperature drops overnight. A warm shower or bath increases blood flow to the skin, creating a more sleep-friendly environment.
3. Have a pot of relaxing herbal tea -try any combination of chamomile, lavender, lemon balm, passionflower leaf or skullcap. Place a heaped teaspoon or 1-2 teabags in a pot of boiling water, cover and allow too steep for 10mins. You can read more about the benefits of herbal tea here.
4. Listen to a meditation or mindfulness track – there are lots on YouTube – I like Jason Stephenson. There is no need to watch, just close your eyes, lie back and relax!
5. Try Diaphragmatic Breathing, it’s super relaxing. Have a read of this handout for some tips on how to perform diaphragmatic breathing.
6. Progressive muscle relaxation – there are lots of different YouTube videos. Try a few and find one you like.
7. Read a book – this can help calm the mind. Make sure it’s not an e-book though. See point 1.
8. If you have thoughts and worries circling in your mind write them down – this helps clear your mind. Try regularly keeping a journal, this is a good way to dump any unwanted thoughts from your mind. Passion Planner makes awesome journals that help you determine your dreams and plan for them.
9. Make sure you are comfortable – if you are too hot or cold, remove or add some bedding. Fluff up your pillow, or try a different one. Use earplugs if noise is keeping you awake. Shut the curtains, or put a blanket over the window if any outside light keeps you awake.
10. Lavender oil – burn lavender oil burn or put a few drops on your pillow. Research suggests that lavender helps with sleep. I love the oils from Perfect Potion, Oil Garden or Essential Therapeutics.
Good luck! I hope these tips to fall asleep faster help. xxx